hatha Yoga Teacher Training in India
Traditional Hatha / 30 Days / 200 Hours Yoga Alliance
One month Yoga Teacher Training in India, to experience the intensive and spiritual teachings and practices of traditional Hatha yoga – with more emphasis on breathing, awareness, meditation and a practical philosophy to live an enlightened life in society. Also, you will be presented with a professional Yoga Teacher Certification diploma, recognized by Yoga Alliance, with which you can start teaching yoga professionally around the world.
This 200 hours Yoga Teacher Training covers all the basic techniques and skills to get started on the noble path of sharing your practical knowledge of yoga – both physical & intellectual – in a professional way. Even if you are not interested in teaching yoga, the practices and philosophy have a detoxifying effect to enrich your body, mind and intellect, and also to understand the purpose of life and know-how to live a sane and peaceful life in this crazy world.
Group size: 18-24 students / minimum of 5 to 6 teachers a group / 10 Supporting Staff.
Who Can Come?
- Practicing Yoga regularly for at least two years.
- Physically fit to handle four hours a day of practice. Test yourself with 10 rounds of Sun Salutation at one go and comfortable to hold the basic asanas for at least 30 seconds.
- Mentally eager to listen to two theory classes a day and write an exam!
- Spiritually focused to wake up early for meditation and ready to handle all the emotional roller coaster this intense course might cause.
- Passionate to question and challenge your own beliefs on who am I, purpose of life, cultural attitudes and ready to raise above petty judgments of society.
- Having no chronic illness, recent surgeries, pregnant, or under medication for severe psychological disorders.
- Practices led by traditional teachers: Asanas, Pranayamas, Neti, Meditation, and Chanting Mantras.
- Teaching Workshops: Demonstration of Asanas and their variations. Classification and sequencing of yoga asanas as per traditional understanding based on Chakras. Adjustments of common mistakes and hands-on techniques.
- Yoga Anatomy: Therapeutic benefits of Asanas and Pranayamas, precautions, and contraindications. Anatomy and Physiology of 7 systems of body.
- Philosophy: Introduction to Yogic Lifestyle in modern times, Historical Evolution of Yoga, Paths of Yogas, Patanjali Yoga Sutras.
- Teaching Practice: Testing and sharing your teaching skills with your co-teachers.
- Career: Business/Career of a yoga teacher, communication skills and safety norms.
Curriculum: International & Traditional
Techniques Training / Practice — 117 Hours
Includes asanas, pranayamas, kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation, and other traditional yoga techniques. These hours are a mix between (1) analytical training in how to teach and practice the techniques, and (2) guided practice of the techniques.
Teaching Methodology — 26 Hours
Includes principles of demonstration, observation, assisting /correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, the student’s process of learning, and business aspects of teaching yoga.
Yoga Anatomy & Ayurveda— 26 Hours
Includes both human anatomy and physiology of bodily systems, organs, etc. Anatomy of Pranic body: chakras, nadis, bandhas etc. Includes both the study of the subject and application of its principles to yoga practice (benefits, contraindications, healthy movement patterns, etc). Basic introduction to Ayurvedic three doshas, diet and lifestyle based on seasons and constitution.
Philosophy, Lifestyle & Ethics — 26 Hours
Includes the study of Yoga Sutras, Yoga in a Big Picture, historical evolution of yoga, four paths and various techniques for Self-Realization, yogic lifestyle in a modern society, and ethics for yoga teachers.
Practicum — 20 Hours
Includes practice teaching, receiving feedback, observing others teaching and hearing/giving feedback.
06.00 – 06.40 am: Meditation
06.40 – 07.00 am: Neti / Kriyas
07.00 – 09.15 am: Yoga & Pranayamas
09.15 – 10.30 am: Brunch & Free time
10.30 – 12.30 pm: Yoga in Big Picture / Yoga Therapy
12.30 – 02.00 pm: Free time / Private coaching
01.30 – 02.30 pm: Fruits/Snacks
02.30 – 04.00 pm: Yoga Sutras / Ayurveda
04.30 – 07.00 pm: Yoga Anatomy Workshops / Teaching Practice
07.00– 08.00 pm: Dinner
08.00 – 09.00 pm: Video Shows or Chanting, on 3 nights a week
10.00 pm – 10.00 am: Silence / Self-Reflections
This time table is subject to change as per weather conditions.
Classes are held 6 days a week. The 7th day is for optional Day-Trips.
Yoga Alliance Certification
During this Yoga Teacher Training in India, students are continuously assessed throughout the course in all five modules: 1) Self-Practice 2) Teaching skills 3) Anatomy + Ayurveda 4) Philosophy + Psychology of Yoga 5) Spirituality of Yoga.
The Morning Yoga sessions are for improving the self-practice of asanas and also to make sure that you can comfortably practice/demonstrate all the asanas that you will be teaching after the course. Teaching skills are assessed through 12 sessions of Yoga Teaching practice in a small group of four/five people under the supervision of our teachers. Each teacher trainee will have to teach at least two yoga classes. Also there will be one written exams on Anatomy and another paper on Philosophy, to make sure what you learn in our theory classes. If you don’t pass the exams, we will be happy to sit down with you one-to-one and make sure that you do understand all the important concepts of Yoga.
AyurYoga Eco-Ashram is accredited as RYS 200 + RYS 300 (Registered Yoga School) with Yoga Alliance USA and also as RYS 200 with Yoga Alliance UK for the students from UK and European countries. Our faculty for teacher training includes at least six teachers, who are mostly recognized as E-RYT 500 (Expert Registered Yoga Teacher) or ERYT 200. The yoga teacher training certificate from our ashram in India, is valid for registerig as RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) with Yoga Alliance in USA or UK. In the last week of the course, we will explain and help you with about registering as a yoga teacher, insurance, taxation, Medical Release form and business aspects of teaching yoga.
Our Experience of Yoga Teacher Training in India
AyurYoga Eco-Ashram (formerly known as Yoga Vidya Retreats/Ashram in Kerala and Dharmasala), has been offering this Yoga Teacher Training Retreat in India since 2010. So far, we have completed 48 Yoga Teacher Training Retreats in India (as of February 2017), graduating more than 900 people coming from 40+ countries around the world! At least 500 of them are now teaching in different countries.
Please view our Flickr page to see the photos of all our past Yoga Teacher Training Retreats held in India – also include the photos of Yoga Vidya Yoga Teacher Training Retreats from Varkala/Cochin (Kerala) and Dharamsala (Himachal Pradesh) in North India.
Other than peaceful and safe environs for single females, healthy diet and comfortable accommodations (which are hard to find in India), our retreats are unique for the focus on spiritual aspects of Yoga taught by traditional teachers and also gives an introduction to Ayurveda.
After the course, we support our teachers through our online groups to help them with any suggestions and career opportunities through our Global Community and Facebook group for our Yoga Teachers, where you can always ask for guidance during early stages of teaching.
Upcoming Dates for Yoga Teacher Training in India
|June 10 - July 8, 2017||8||Register now|
|July 20 - August 17, 2017||2||Register now|
|September 1 - 29, 2017||12||Register now|
|October 10 - November 7, 2017||7||Register now|
|January 5 - February 2, 2018||17||Register now|
|February 14 - March 14, 2018||20||Register now|
|March 20 - April 17, 2018||20||Register now|
Arrival and Departure
- Day before Start date: Arrival and rest
- Starting Date: Opening Ceremony at 7 am and Orientation Day
- Day 7: Cultural Tour
- Last Day: Departure ( possible to extend your stay)
- Additional days of Stay: You are welcome to stay before or after the retreat by paying an additional charge of $20/day for twin-share, $30/day for private room, includes all meals and drinks.
Costs + Budget of Yoga Teacher Training in India
$2200 US Dollars = Course Fees + Food + Twin-share Room for 30 days.
$2500 US Dollars = Course Fees + Food + Private Room for 30 days.
A welcome kit with a new yoga mat, books, Neti Pot, and 500 MB Wi-Fi voucher is included.
Flights and Airport Transfers are not included. We organize Airport Transfers at extra cost.
Our courses are taught by at least six expert teachers and supported by more than 10 staff.
The food in our ashram is specially designed for International yoga students, cooked with mostly organic vegetables from our own farm or bought from local farmers.
Our accommodation and facilities are of the best quality you can find in India.
Download Orientation Guide PDF
If you need more practical information about this program such how to get here, preparations, what to bring, what to read, and other practicalities of coming to India, please check out our Orientation Guide meant for preparing our Teacher Trainees.
You can also save/print this PDF from browser menu.
How to Register
Before registering for our retreats, please be aware of the Ashram Guidelines and Payment Policy as you nee to accept them while filling the application. Also be ensured of logistics of travel to ashram, visas and flights from How to Get Here page.
1) Please go to our Registrations (or click on Book Now at the top) to see the availability. If the course status is open, please click on ‘Register Now’ link next to the retreat/date you are applying for.
2) After reviewing your application by our teachers, we will send you a Booking Confirmation mail within 24 to 48 hours. Rarely, if the application is rejected for any reason, the deposit will be refunded within 24 hours.
3) Apply for Indian Tourist Visa and send us your flight tickets, at least two weeks before the course starts, to organize airport transfers.
We organize Cultural Tours on every seventh day which is a day-off from the classes. Please check the Day Tours page in our website for more information. The tour costs are not included in the course fees and needs to be paid separately. It will cost about $10 to $20 maximum for each trip.
Please email: email@example.com for any further questions.